Tatted Jewelry Eye Candy
TATBiT's Tiger's Eye Anklet
Hand Tatted Interlocking Split Rings

 This part of the chain is:
Ring 1: R 21. Rings 2-27: SR 13/13. Ring 28: R 21. 
Tie a square knot on back side of chain.
Tatting is the perfect armature to build beads upon. I used netting shuttles to hold excess thread while tatting/knotting the split ring chain (as not to mark the nylon thread as a traditional shuttle may or may not do.) It is easier to have a receptacle hold excess thread instead of having the thread be free.
   If you have not heard the recent "chatter" around tatland, I thought that I had created the element called "Interlocking Split Rings". I called them "linked rings", "chained links", "double Dutch rings" and a few other monikers that are probably best forgotten. 
   The "Interlocking Split Rings" element belongs to Mrs. Ruth Perry. Mrs. Perry has been gracious in granting me permission to post these images where I used elements that belong to her.
   Tatters should really start using correct terminology. "Interlocking Split Rings" is considered an "element" and not a "technique". Tatters, it is not about the manner in which the shuttle is manipulated (technique), but the ending result aka the element.  Ruth used shuttles to manipulate the technique, while I finger tatted/knotted the technique. Fascinating but the manner in which the technique is manipulated is besides the point.  This element was not in the public domain and permission should be sought first.
This scan shows the "front side" of the split ring foundation chain: first ring, a complete split-ring, and a partial split ring. Pull approximately 40 inches of cord from the spool. The first finger tatted ring is the trickiest! Pull the thread up through the first ring and then down through the center of the first split-ring. I flip the foundation chain over and try to keep it out of the way.

NOTE: I finger tatted the "interlocking split rings" using  C-Lon Micro (TEX70) Nylon Cord in Sage. This nylon thread is a bit unforgiving. That means if you make a mistake and decide to undo your knots, this thread will show the stress or might even be marked. It is best to count twice and close only once.
   When learning any new technique it is best to practice on test chains first. PRACTICE FIRST with small chain examples of four of five rings. The first ring is always a ring and that is a ring of 21 knots. Each split-ring is 13 knots for the tatted portion of the split-ring, and 13 lark's head knots for the macrame version of the split-ring. 
   What might be some-what easy for me, might be your worse nightmare. Only you know what your skill-level is and you should take that into account prior to attempting to tat any of my designs. Just remember that anything worth having should not necessarily be easy. I have been finger tatting for many, many years now and I can throw "about" a substantial amount of thread if need be. Yes, sometimes the thread will knot up when I do not want it to. I may have to stop and un-knot the tangled mess, but this is the nature of the beast. Are we not in essence tying knots? So having to untie a knot now and then (to me) is not that big of a bother.
I do not have the full count of ten double knots in this pictured scan, but you need to tat 10 DKs. My example shows only 9 complete DKs and a first hitch. Pay attention to how the cord looks in this scan. Pull UP on the running cord or what otherwise would be considered S1's cord. Pulling up the ring knots, up and over where the first ring ends and the first split-ring begins.
Holding the ring together, slowly pull the ring thread through the knots to close the ring. If for some reason the ring will not close properly, then you want to make sure that prior to tatting the first knot that the thread has not twisted or is spun up. This is one reason to cause a ring not to fully close.
Materials: DB276 11/0 Rainbow Luster Teal, 8x11mm Cobalt Crystal Window Beads, Tiger Eye Semi-Precious 6mm Heart Beads. (I found different colors of the "window" bead but not the same as pictured above.)
 
 
 
The images featured in this post are all scans that have been heavily manipulated using GIMP which is a free picture editor. It does not matter how many times I clean the surface of the scanner bed there is always some speck of white that gets scanned too. These specs of lint totally distract the eye so I edited them out. I like the "black hole" effect which allows the tatting to just "pop" and be the focal point of the image not lint. I do enhance the hue, add brightness and contrast. Some of my beads were not grade A so I helped them along by smoothing out some white marks or dents. I am not selling these pieces of jewelry so I do not feel that I am deceiving the viewer just putting the tatting in a better light.
All Rights Reserved.
© 2009 by Teri Dusenbury.
Happy Tatting!