August 20th

 Lots of printed paper...
Mostly tatting...
This is an earlier picture of my office because that monitor is for the old HP. I think I took pictures when the office was clean, and not when it looked like a vortex had just blown through. Some of the material that I have in the Archives has not been scanned into the computer yet. I think I may have more from Angeline Crichlow, or I at least have dates and pattern names for some of her published works.
  One of the setbacks that I had when collecting materials for the Archive was getting tatters to include photographs with their biographies. Maybe, they did not have a spare photograph or ? 
  A picture is worth a thousand words, and it helps to be able to see that these tatters were real people. I think it makes the letters more interesting, too. I am sorry that I did not pursue getting their pictures further. At that point, I am unsure where the line was anymore, as I wanted tatters to send their biographies, but did not want to upset individuals in trying to get their pictures too.
 Christmas card made by Dora Young.
 Full view of card made by Dora Young. Courtesy of Jared Young.
 Tatted by Dora Young. Courtesy of Jared Young.
 Tatted by Dora Young. Courtesy of Jared Young.
Holly Hobby card made by Dora Young. Courtesy of Jared Young.
Dora Young... I have been debating on whether or not to post what I have on Dora Young.
  In my opinion, Dora Young's bridge technique (aka split chains), was a pivotal point in tatting's evolution. Dora Young's name should always be remembered for that contribution. 
  Being able to see Dora's collection of shuttles, and the lace from other patterns that Dora tatted from is just a small part of what Dora has left the community. I am grateful for having had the opportunity to see a small portion of her collection even if only via the computer screen.
  
First and foremost, emphasis should always be on Dora's patterns and that technique. It is not about the shuttle. It is about the knot, the technique, the patterns, and her original lace.
  What was the real story behind the patent, the absolute truth of the matter? I had been privy to a lot of hearsay, but nothing concrete. The mere fact that Dora Young felt it necessary to patent this technique, says volumes about wanting to control how that technique was used, by whom, and that credit was given.
   You may not realize that it was common practice, (at that time), to take public domain material, black-out all references to who the real author was, and copyright these works under the publisher's name. Some editors would even place their own names as the author, when all they did was compile the information or submit it for publication. 
  It is very clear that Dora wanted to be remembered for her contribution.
  If the community of tatters do not start supporting designers, by helping them protect their rights, then pretty soon nothing new will be created. It will be the same old, same old. I made a lot of networking friends when I wrote about that practice...
   When I first received my copy of All New Knotless Tatting, my hands shook as I flipped through the pages. (I had not even started my Anne Orr quest yet, so there really were not many tatting patterns that shook my world.) Seeing Dora's tatting patterns, that looked like crochet, but were tatted, I think I heard angels sing.
  I was so excited that I wrote a few tatting friends and their response was... it looks like crochet. They missed the whole point! The point being not that the lace looked like traditional crochet patterns, but that these designs were tatted in continuous rounds. 
   That was how Dora was able to translate crochet patterns into tatting. Think about the genius behind figuring out how to tat half a chain, fix the end and knot back up from the other end so that chain ends in the middle. The tatting community just sort of went... eh? Nothing to see here, just mindless tatting to do... where is that green pen. I am bad:)
   WAKE UP! I wanted to shout it on the rooftop, I pretty much did! My friends were not impressed, and it took a very long time for the community to learn this new trick. Because they all want to tat the Forever Young Doily and still do!
 Forever Young Doily Pattern Link
All Rights Reserved. ©1994 by Teri Dusenbury.
I have been looking at the scans of Dora Young's correspondence, and they are absolutely awful scans. I find it difficult to read them without going in and fiddling with the contrast. Sometimes, my scanner cooperated, and other days it behaved badly.  There were even times when I wanted to throw the machine out the window.
  I bought a new scanner that I do not particularly like, but that is because I am not totally familiar with it.

I have more public domain books to scan into the computer.

It was hot yesterday, and it did not help that no one noticed that the cool function light was not showing on our swamp cooler, and so I baked like a potato. Had a slow start today, but at least I slept better and my ribs are healing.

Still waiting on my tablet to be sent.... hurry, hurry, hurry.. should have paid the ten dollars for next day delivery!
I have tatting odds and ends left. I looked through the manuscripts that I have yet to finish. I found that I see so much better when the background is black and the font is white. I have been changing over the manuscripts format so that I have a better chance of finishing them. Some are written in the moment and I am puzzled as I was in schematic mode and had yet to write directions down...
Happy Tatting!