A Little More TATBiT History...

Nani Diaz was the wonderful lady who taught me how to transfer the hitches from one thread to another. Little did I know at the time (of my one lesson) that I was being taught the original tatting method known as The Riego Method. Instead of tatting todays basic double knot (of the first hitch and the second hitch in that order), I was taught to tat the second hitch and then the first hitch to complete Riego's Double Knot.
  When I went back to take a second lesson from Mrs. Diaz. I was told that I knew more than she did. I had figured out how to join the rings and tat a chain. Little did I know that I was not exactly tatting like my fellow tatters.
  Having taught myself how to tat chains, I did not understand why one would reverse the work to tat a chain. It just seemed like wasted efforts to me when the same result could be achieved without reversing the work.
  It was not until I had a few tatting designs under my belt that my daughter noticed from a tatting book she was reading, that I was tatting differently than what was considered the norm. What? I read Rebecca Jones' The Complete Book of Tatting and then I took a second look at my tatting. I decided that I wanted my lace to have a distinct front side. I liked the look of all the knots facing one side, complete knots with no half hitches. What a difference to my lace once I decided to change the sequence of hitches.
  The manner in which I tat my rings and chains has not really changed in the past twenty-five years. I have used many different types of joining styles, looking for the perfect join. I believe I found the perfect method but it requires one to finger tat and be able to manipulate a lot of thread.
  Traditional style shuttles are more about the shuttle than being a useful tool. If the shuttle is marking the thread or causing stress to the thread through the winding and unwinding... click, click, click... then it does not serve as an advantage but a hindrance. Tatting is about the fiber used to make the knots. The shuttle is merely a tool and tatting is not reliant on a tool in order to be made. One only needs their fingers and suitable fiber.
  Shuttle makers love me!
  I have never been captivated by shuttles or really suffered from shuttle-lust. I have a small collection but I stopped using shuttles many years ago.
Lael Morgan Shuttle
 LoLo Shuttle
 Shuttle winder that fits Clover-Style Shuttles.
 Tatsy
 Tatsy
Shuttle Winder
 I was a very big fan of these metal bobbin shuttles but stopped using them after I noticed my thread being marked.
 Dennis Hand
 Dennis Hand
 Dennis Hand
 Dennis Hand
Dennis Hand
Or just an excuse to drink beer?
 My favorite shuttles!
 Happy Tatting!